Most of the people think that the words ‘holiday’ and ‘cheap’ don’t seem to go together. However, this is not really the case. Traveling or vacationing does not have to burn a hole in your pocket. With some smart thinking and pre-trip planning, you can enjoy a wonderful, yet low-cost vacation.
Here are some budget travel tips with which you can get the most of your trip without making it too heavy on your wallet.
- Pre-plan and research well: Prior planning of the trip is a must if you are looking to save the maximum. You should research well to find the cheapest destinations and the best prices.
- Travel off-season: The off-season is a great time to get unbelievable deals. By traveling during this time, you might have to miss the perfect weather, but you will also be spared the maddening crowds of tourists.
- Pack right: You should pack right, taking the weather at your destination into consideration. Try to be prepared for any contingency so that you are not caught off-guard and have to spend on costly ‘on the road’ purchases.
- Make smart selection of accommodation: You should choose a leisure hotel for staying during the weekdays and a business hotel for the weekends. This will fetch you handsome discounts. You can also consider staying in hotels that are not in the city center but on the outskirts. Hostels and shared cabins are also good options for budget accommodation.
- Avoid taking a flight: Don’t fly, if you can drive down or take the train. If you do need to take a flight, shop online for an attractive deal. You can get especially great prices if you book your ticket months in advance or book at the last minute.
- Limit your fine dining: It would be a good idea to bring along energy bars and dried fruits to munch on when out sight-seeing. If complimentary breakfast is offered by your hotel, you must avail it and you can even pick up breads, cheeses and fruits from the local market. When you do eat out, try to visit the hole-in-the wall restaurants or food carts.
- Save on local transport costs: You can save big by avoiding the cabs or rented cars and using the local public transport. You may pick up full day transit passes.
- Take package deals offered by local travel agents: Taking up all-inclusive package deals from your local travel agent can make your tour affordable. So, go online and log on to a local business directory to get the details of the reliable travel agencies in your area.