Located South of New York State, New York City is a global metropolitan city. With an estimated population of near about 8.7 million, it is the most populous city in the United States. A global power city, the city exercises strengths in finance, commerce, media, fashion, art, education, technology, research and entertainment, its fast pace thus defining the term “New York Minute”.
Let us now take a look at some of the most astonishing facts of the Big Apple –
• New Yorkers drink more coffee than any other city in the country at almost 7 times more.
• New York is the most diverse city in the world by linguistics with about 800 languages spoken in the city.
• New York ranks second for housing the largest Polish population after Warsaw.
• The first underground park of the world will open in New York, to be inaugurated in 2018.
• New York’s homeowners can register a free request for planting a tree outside their homes.
• New York today is amongst the most densely populated cities in the world but very few know that Ancient Rome was almost 8 times more densely populated than the modern NYC.
• New York receives 15 times the snow than that of South Pole.
• Every departure board at the Grand Central is exactly one minute wrong.
• 1 out of every 21 NYC resident is a millionaire.
• More than 15,000 species of bacteria and insects have been found on the New York Subway.
• There are four times the abandoned houses than homeless people in the city.
• The underwater portion of the Liberty Island, where the iconic Statue of Liberty sits upon, is actually a part of New Jersey and not New York.
• NYC will borne the expenses of a one way plane ticket for a homeless person, if they have a place to stay.
• An average night out in New York costs about $82.
• Operating a hot dog stand around the Central Park can cost can cost up to $300,000.
• Acquiring a cab license in New York costs $1 million.
• The first pizza restaurant in the United States was opened in New York.
• New York also accounts for the highest population of the Jews besides Israel.
• Residents of New York have formed reputation of being rude to people.
• There is a skyscraper in NYC with no windows.
• The delivery companies contribute more than $120 million in the revenue as they receive over 7,000 tickets each day.
• New York has topped the list of the unhappiest cities in the nation.
• The Subway musicians have to go through a strict selection process to play there.
• Honking car horn in NYC is illegal.
NYC is a year round destination. Each season brings its own reasons to visit. Early fall offers brighter sunshine, comfortable temperatures and crisp breezes. Late fall and winter make sweet with Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and the decorations. Deep winter is cold but it also means low hotel tariffs and budget New York flight deals. Spring is a beautiful time to visit and summer, like the other places is hot and humid.